Castagnole are fritter sweets very popular in Italy.
Their soft stuffing it’s perfect to enjoy the Carnival’s holidays!!
Ingredients (for 30 Castagnole)
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/3 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 small eggs
1 vanilla bean
1 1/2 teaspoon backing powder
1 tablespoon anisette
sunflower oil for frying
confectioners’ sugar to taste
- Mix flour, eggs, sugar, butter, salt, zest of lemon, anisette, backing powder and seeds of vanilla bean together in a medium bowl
- Extend the piastry on a board and let dough stand for few minutes
- Shape small portions of the dough into long “snakes” and cut into half-inch pieces
- Make little balls and fry them in deep, hot oil with low flame. Fry until well puffed up and golden brown in color.
- Drain on absorbent paper and dust with confectioners’ sugar